Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Moon is Down: What techniques does the author use to engage the audience and make the story effective? Give examples to support your analysis (mystery, humor, symbolism, suspense, etc.)


Steinbeck uses mystery and suspense to make this story engaging and interesting to read. I really enjoyed this book, and it was my favorite out of the required reads. I enjoyed it mainly because I was always wondering what would happen next. I wanted to know if the townspeople would win the fight or not. The really suspenseful part for me was when Mayor Orden, Molly,Winter, and the Anders boys meet inside Molly’s house and discuss how they are going to get weapons, explosives, and poison. Annie waits outside as soldiers walk by, and the whole time I was really afraid that they would all get caught and killed! (Steinbeck, 79-85) The part where Molly grabs scissors before meeting Tonder was really scary and suspenseful too. ‘Her voice was strained and sweet. She called, “I’m coming, Lieutenant, I’m coming!”’ (Steinbeck, 86) Then it leaves off! It’s really mysterious because you have NO IDEA what happened! You don’t know if she killed him or if she chickened out, or if he killed her or if they even fought! It doesn’t address the issue till later in the story when Lanser talks to Prackle about being on his guard against women. He says, “No, you thought it would be fun, didn’t you? Lieutenant Tonder went to pieces and then he went out and they got a knife in him.” (Steinbeck, 99) After he said that I was so surprised I had to set the book down. Molly actually killed him? I couldn’t believe it.  So after it mentioned previously that Captain Bentick died, and now Lieutenant Tonder , everything gets even more suspenseful and mysterious because now readers want to know if the rest of Lanser’s crew are going to get killed off. People are dying everywhere and now readers wonder who’s next. I just wanted to know if the townspeople actually won, but the book ends before you really know. Mayor Orden claims that yes, the people will eventually drive out the ‘Nazi’ people but you never really know. It ends, just like that!  



Steinbeck, John. Moon Is Down. N.p.: Penguin Group, 1942. Print.






No comments:

Post a Comment