Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye: Why do we still read this book? What is so timeless about its message and characters? What can we learn from reading this novel?


I think we can agree that everyone likes a book that revolves around a relatable character. No one likes to feel alone in their thoughts, and readers want to read a story about someone who they can make a connection with. That’s why I think The Catcher in the Rye is such a timeless book. Holden Caulfield, the main character, is what makes it timeless. He’s a young teenage kid trying to find his way in the world. He’s immature, he lies, he’s impulsive, but he’s also generous, considerate, thoughtful, and sentimental. He’s a normal kid with normal problems. The only difference is how he handles them. He’s brutally honest, and openly admits his own downfalls, like his “yellowness” or cowardice (Salinger, pg. 89), and his tendency to lie (Salinger pg. 16). He even makes fun of his own obnoxious laugh, and says, “I laughed. And I have one of these very loud, stupid laughs. I mean, if I ever sat behind myself in a movie or something, I’d probably lean over and tell myself to please shut up.” (Salinger pg. 134) Holden is very humorous, and despite the fact that his language is terrible, he uses it in the funniest places. He also admits that he doesn't even act his age. “I was sixteen then, and I’m seventeen now, and sometimes I act like I’m about thirteen.” (Salinger pg. 9) He’s just a lost and confused kid, and everyone, no matter what age, has been through a time like that in their lives before. Everyone has been  scared of their future and had doubts and uncertainty. This book teachers readers that they aren’t alone. Everyone goes through rough times. Everyone has had to grow up. To mature. To take responsibility of their lives. But sometimes, people aren’t ready for it yet, just like Holden wasn’t. It also teacher us that, in order to be successful, plan ahead. Don’t be afraid of the future, welcome it. Set goals and plan for your own success. Go make your own luck. This book is timeless because of how Holden deals with it all. Growing up and maturing. He tries to run from it, but in the end, he has to face it just the same.



Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown, 1951. Print.




No comments:

Post a Comment