Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye: Why it was my favorite novel out of Fahrenheit 451, The Old Man and the Sea, and The Moon Is Down


I enjoyed all four of the books that I read, but out of all of them, The Catcher in the Rye was my favorite of all. I’d always heard of this book, but I never actually knew the plot or character list. I’d seen it on the internet, on posters, and on summer reading lists, but I already assumed it was a more complicated read that would require a lot of thinking and line connecting. Surprisingly, it was an extremely EASY read and it flowed perfectly. It was upbeat and amusing, but also very touching and full of symbolism. It was completely unexpected from a book I’d known about for years that I’d never once touched. It wasn’t really the plot that made me like it, but the writing style. From the first   sentence, “If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth,”( Salinger pg. 1) to the last two, “Don’t tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody” (Salinger pg. 214) I was completely intrigued. I liked how the story is written from the point of view of a seventeen year old rebel, and is full of humorous thoughts, sly comments, and repetitive bad language. Because he’s just a teenager, the story is easier to read. Holden describes everything from his personal point of view, and he prefers to keep it simple and too the point, which I really liked. Holden has his own personality, and is very opinionated on pretty much everything that he sees or anything that happens to him, which makes it funny. I really enjoyed it because Holden is such a big personality, and he makes a really humorous narrator. The Catcher in the Rye was the only book that was like that.

            Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown, 1951. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment