Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Journal #26

Last year when i was auditioning for the high school musical My Fair Lady, things did not turn out the way i was expecting them too.

The tryout days were scheduled for tuesday and wednesday of that week, and i was pretty nervous.

Usually i'm confident, but part of the reason i was so nervous was because i was excited to get started. I hadn't done any acting since the fall when i was in Musical Comedy Murders of 1940, and i was getting really eager to get back into something again.

Anyway, when the audition day came, i was really excited and nervous.

I didn't know what part i wanted, really. I mean, of course i would have liked to get the lead, Elisa Doolittle, but it was really doubtful that i would. I thought maybe i'd just get an average singing role--maybe a chorus person--because the cast was made up of a lot of boy characters and i'm clearly not a guy!

So i went in to the auditions (shaking a little!) and waited filled out the papers and waited to be called to sing my audition song.

I was ready when they called me, and when i went up, and in order to get the nerves off, i kind of joked with  Mrs. Oh and told her  that if Colonel Pickering could be a girl, i'd totally do it. She smiled and then i went back to sit down.

After i thought about what i'd said, i decided that it wouldn't be SO bad to get one of the male roles. I mean, Pickering DID get to sing and got a fair amount of stage time and lines, and was a distinctive character, so it coudln't be all that bad. It would be weird, maybe awkward, and pretty challenging, though. Then i thought about actors in general. Only the best actors are asked to play characters of their opposite gender because it's challenging.

I wasn't really sure what i wanted at the end of the day, but i was really expecting to get a chorus part or maybe a small minor speaking part.

Later that week, i got a text from Mrs. Oh that said i was going to be Colonel Pickering though!!
I was completely  thrown off! I realized that when i'd said it, i'd really, deep down, meant it as a sort of joke!
So getting a text telling me that i was going to be one of the lead male roles in the musical this spring was probably one of the most unexpected things ever.

Though it wasn't as expected, i did my best and worked my hardest at the role. I payed attention to some guy friends for a few days and noted how they walked differently and had different mannerisms from a girl, and i compleatly changed how i moved on stage and how i talked.

It was unexpected, but i enjoyed the opportunity and had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment