Friday, September 28, 2012

Journal 10: Virtues

Virtues are a way of life. A set of values that everyone makes for themselves so they know when they've gone to far. They are a line that a person draws, and they train them self not to cross it.Over time, I've adopted my parents values, and I've made some virtues for myself.

The first virtue that I keep is integrity. I don't like it when people are dishonest, especially with one another. No one likes deception. I try to do everything with integrity, even though sometimes it can be hard. It't the same thing as honesty, and honesty in itself is extremely important. Liars don't get anywhere in life, and if you don't do things with integrity, no one can trust you. 

Another virtue I keep is hard work. I believe that everyone should do their best in everything they attempt or succeed in. Having someone else do something for you isn't going to teach you anything. It won't make you a better person, and it wouldn't be yours. I especially keep this virtue when i'm doing homework. I don't copy off of others because first of all, it's dishonest, and second of all, I won't learn anything from that. I do all my work myself, like i'm supposed to. 

I also try to be compassionate. Everyone has bad days. Some people can be kind one day, and grouchy the next. I believe that it doesn't matter. The person is still a person, and just because they have a bad day doesn't mean you have to be really hard on them. In simpler words, I like to 'give people a break'. Give them the benefit of the doubt. I like to be compassionate. 

 I also don't like to judge people harshly. It's always very difficult to avoid judgment, especially when you know everyone else judges you too. I understand that judging others is an instinct, but if I find myself dong that, I try not to think about it. Judging someone in a cruel way before you know them is cutting them short. It't not respectful. Who knows! They could be a really cool person, and you might never know that because you judge them too harshly before you ever meet them! So i keep myself open, and i try not to be judgmental. 

No comments:

Post a Comment