Monday, February 4, 2013

Journal 30

"You can't go in there," someone grumbled. I turned swiftly to face the person who'd spoken, my eyes furrowing in anger. "Well why not?" i asked, looking at the young boy who was now facing me, a deep scowl set on his face. He crossed his thin arms, stuck one foot toward me threateningly, and pointed at the cafe before me. "It's just how it is," he spat, and i backed up aprehensivly. "They don't let brunettes in there. The sign says so." He jabbed a thumb at the cafe window where a bold, neon sign notified customers that only people of red, blond, and black hair were allowed inside. My face turned red with embarrasment, and i felt my hands twitch at my side. My eyes stung with fury, blinkinng with surprize,  and my voice came out as a thin, strangled sob, "Oh, i'm sorry....i didn't know." I kept my eyes locked on the sign, the pure injustice of it slapping me in the face like a stinging switch. I ran a trembling hand over the doornob of the wide, inviting threshold of the cafe, and sighed with remorse. "When did they make this?" i inquired, feeling a deep hurt settle sickingly in my gut. The boy laughed cruely and leaned up next to me, his elbow flush against the cafe window, parallel to the infuriating sign. "Just the other day," he began, as i moved away from him. "Boss just broke up with his girlfriend. She was a brunette. He decided he never wanted to see another one again. Said they were all heartbreaking idiots. Put up the sign in the window. I pained it for him." He observed his hands like they'd done a work of God. I wasn't paying attention. My eyes were focoused on the group of firends i was supposed to meet inside. They were all gathered at our table in the back, smiling, laughing, waiting for me...i hoped. My eyes, unkown to the meaningless difference, observed how their hair glinted with shades of blonde, streaks of red, dark black like the embers of a fire. They were so..happy. Jokingly, as my blonde haired friend got up, i caught my black haired friend, Jacob, grab the jar of salt and gingerly sprinkle a copious ammount into her pepsi filled glass.When she came back and took a sip, her face erupted in anger, and then she laughed, slapping him in the arm playfully, her white smile flashing in the light.  I wouldn't beable to enjoy this fun. I was on the outside. unwelcomed. Unwanted. Not equal. My civil rights were completely gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment